Shyness is a common reaction when being exposed to unfamiliar situations or new people. When you are shy, you may have feelings of apprehension or awkwardness when you are around others, and will often find it uncomfortable when you need to talk to people. This can lessen, though, as you become more familiar with your surroundings and peers.
Here are some tricks for you to overcome social anxiety:
- FOCUS – When in social situations try focusing on external things rather than yourself.
- BREATHE – Learn a breathing technique and practice it every day.
- ATTENTION – Practice attention training to help shift your focus externally.
- THOUGHT – Test out the validity of thought through behavioral experiments.
- BEHAVIORS – Identify safety behaviors and slowly start to eliminate them.
- EXPOSURE – Create a fear hierarchy. Slowly work through the situation that cause anxiety.
- HELP – Seek help from a friend or even therapist.
- COMFORT ZONE – Be ready to push yourself out of your comfort zone!
- GOALS – Goals will be a great tool to help you overcome your social anxiety.
- CHALLENGE – Challenge unhelpful or unrealistic thoughts.
I wish you the best of luck!